Photobucket

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Saint Peter





Still reading about Christian theology, and therefore still subjecting my blog to articles about “bibley type stuff”. This major figure in early and recent Christianity is one of the more famous figures in popular culture, thanks to the Gospel of Matthew naming him “keeper of the keys of the kingdom of heaven”; this has caused him to become synonymous with the iconic imagery of the “pearly gates”. What gets me is, Peter is often depicted as actually looking into the Book of Souls for your name. What a gyp! I'd demand to see his supervisor at that point. Peter always sticks in my mind for other reasons. Among those: He's that dude that denied Jesus three times. You know, the whole “I swear, I never met the guy!” act, to avoid being martyred alongside his master. Then later, he was crucified upside down, voluntarily! That's right, he figured he wasn't worthy of going out the way his master did, so he opted for the ol' topsy turvy treatment. As a consolation, he had that gigantic Basilica named after him. May he watch over the tourists of his domain! And the Swiss Guards, too. I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment