Photobucket

Monday, November 8, 2010

Book of Revelation


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

This is one of the most fascinating books in the bible (in my humble opinion) and contains more examples of literary technique than any other. Whether it represents genuine prophecy isn't for me to say (although I find the idea outrageous), but I think we can all agree that it makes for some damned good reading--no pun intended (between the quality of the reading and what God may do to me if I'm wrong about this book). What I don't understand is when people ask "Do you think we'll see the rapture in our lifetime?"...even if you believe in this stuff, how could you possibly know the answer to such a question? Another weird thing to me is God's repeated insistence throughout the book that "I am coming soon." Considering the book was written around 59 A.D., he seems a bit late. Conversely, scientists speculate humans have been on the earth for as much as 250,000 years; in that context, 2,000 years isn't long to wait, I suppose.

Highlights: The sections about John of Patmos' use of literary devices is really interesting. I love the symmetry of seven that is seen throughout Revelation. While reading this section, I was looking up corresponding direct passages for reference, and got to know www.biblegateway.com very well. The site offers sound clips of the whole book, in dramatic voice over, with a score. Sort of like a book on tape. Super, super cool. I found it so neat, I listened to the whole book!

No comments:

Post a Comment