Photobucket

Monday, November 8, 2010

Deadpool


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

I'm not into comic books, but I watched "X Men Origins: Wolverine" today, and it got me interested in some of the characters in "Project X", which is touched on but briefly in the film (which touches on, but avoids full explanation of, quite a bit, which is one of its problems). Ryan Reynolds' portrayal seems relatively faithful to the character's biography, but he has less than ten minutes of screentime, despite seeming to be a major character in the comics. I love Deadpool's story, the way I love any good character's back story, and for this reason I actually enjoyed this article more than the film.

Highlights:

-Deadpool's name comes from the time he spent in a prison for rejects of the mutant experimentation program he was part of. The inmates had a betting game about who the warden's next murder victim would be, appropriately called "the dead pool". Wade Wilson appropriated this name after he escaped.

-When Wade was given his superpowers, it drove the cancer he already had into overdrive, which caused his body serious disfigurement due to scarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment